Apple Canyon River – April 26-28
We are extending the registration for Apple Canyon until the evening of 4/24/2019. If you wish to still attend the camping trip please make sure you complete this form by Wednesday evening.
Note we are looking for a few more drivers to and from camp. Thanks. Please drop me an email if you can drive. Contact Mr. Basso.
April 26 depart@ 6:00 pm – April 28 return@ 12:00 pm
A camping scout experience worth the trek. Join us for a weekend of tent camping in Apple River Canyon State Park, in the hilly northwest corner of Illinois in Jo Daviess County near the Wisconsin border. Limestone bluffs, deep ravines, springs, streams and wildlife characterize this area. Once a part of a vast sea bottom that stretched from the Alleghenies to the Rockies, the scenic canyon area was formed by the action of the winding waters of the Apple River.
- Scout Campout Cost:$25
- Registration Cutoff:2019-04-24
- Online Signup Link:Apple Canyon River Registration Form
- Departure Location:800 Roosevelt Rd, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137 (Old Dominick’s Parking Lot)
- Departure Date and Time:Friday, April 26, 2019, 6:00 PM
- Return Location:800 Roosevelt Rd, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137 (Old Dominick’s Parking Lot)
- Return Date and Time:Sunday, April 28, 2019, 12:00 PM
- Contact: Mr. Basso
Spring Court of Honor – April 23
The Spring Court of Honor will be held at the Troop Meeting on Tuesday April 23rd. All scouts and parents are encouraged to attend. Scouts will be recognized for their service and achievements, and the leaders will provide updates on the Troop’s events and plans. Scouts should wear their Class A uniforms. Please bring a dessert to share. A “hand me down” table will also be set up. Scouts who have outgrown uniforms, Class Bs, Class Cs, hiking boots, hoodies, and other Troop or camping gear are encouraged to bring it and put it on the table. The PLC should plan to arrive at 7 p.m. to help with set up and stay 15 minutes after the meeting to help with clean up.
BSA swim test – Sunday, May 5 at 4pm at Glen Ellyn YMCA – Mr. Ruggiero
Recommended for new scouts. There will be a BSA swim test for all new scouts that will be attending summer camp this year. This is a great way for your new scout to get familiar with exactly what is required of him to complete the BSA swim test that is held at Owasippe for all scouts wanting to do any water sports. It also gives them time to practice their strokes needed if they have challenges completing the test before Owasippe. We have the pool reserved at the Y in Glen Ellyn on Sunday 5/05 from 4-5pm. After testing, you can stay and have open swim until 5pm. Please fill out attached forms and bring to Y. No fee to attend.
For this test at the Y and at summer camp, to qualify as a swimmer they must pass the below:
- Jump feet first into water over the head, level off, and begin swimming.
- Swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy restingbackstroke.
- The 100 yards must be completed without stops and must include at least one sharp turn.
- Rest by floating…Long enough to demonstrate ability to rest when exhausted.
Summer Camp – Mr. Van Ek
Registration for Summer Camp is now open! Visit the Troop 41 Summer Camp page to view information, download forms, and complete the registration process.
During the cold of winter we look forward to the warmth of summer and great times at Owasippe Scout Reservation. In case you don’t have it on your calendar already, summer camp dates are:
Sat July 20 – Sat July 27
The past few years we’ve had 75-80% of the troop attend camp. With the beautiful summer days, amazing setting in the Western Michigan woods, plentiful merit badge programs and activities, this is no surprise. We are looking forward to another great year.
Contact Mr. Van Ek with any questions.